Like this article?


Afghan officials say that a suicide bomb and gun attack claimed by the ISIS on a Shiite mosque in Kabul killed at least 36 people and wounded scores more Friday in the latest assault to highlight deteriorating security in Afghanistan.

The people were slaughtered during prayers. The dead and wounded include women and children.

Mohammad Salim Rasouli, chief of Kabul’s hospitals, said Saturday that more than 80 others were wounded in the attack.

Gunshots and explosions could be heard during the attack that lasted around four hours and witnesses reported seeing worshipers smash windows to escape, Daily Mail reported.

The mosque, in a residential area in the north of the city, was believed to have been packed with dozens of men, women and children when the assailants struck during Friday prayers.

According to authorities, there were four attackers. Two blew themselves up and another two were shot to death by Afghan security forces.

Heavily armed security forces stormed the building and rescued more than 100 worshipers.

“The attack is over and the site has been cleaned up by our police,” deputy spokesman Najib Danish said. He told Afghan media that police “blew up a wall behind the building to get in and rescue people”.

Eyewitnesses described horrific scenes inside the mosque as the attackers ran short of bullets and began “using knives to stab worshipers”.

Others said the attackers had been armed with rocket propelled grenade launchers and had holed themselves up in the women’s section of the mosque.

More than 10 ambulances were at the scene to take the wounded to local hospitals. Some relatives flocked to a nearby private hospital to search for loved ones who had been in the mosque at the time of the attack.

The attack comes just days after President Donald Trump cleared the way for thousands more American troops to be deployed in the war-torn country.

Shiites, a minority of around three million in overwhelmingly Sunni Afghanistan, have regularly been targeted by ISIS jihadists recently. They accuse police and troops of failing to protect them.

ISIS has claimed responsibility for a series of attacks killing dozens of Shiites in Kabul over the past year, including twin explosions in July 2016 that ripped through crowds of Shiite Hazaras, killing at least 85 people and wounding more than 400.

Earlier this month 33 worshipers were killed and 66 wounded in a suicide attack claimed by ISIS on a Shiite mosque in the western Afghan city of Herat.

Our hearts and prayers go out to the victims of this horrific attack.

God Bless.

FOLLOW us on Facebook at Nation In Distress!


Please share this on Facebook and Twitter!

Like this article?

Facebook Comments