BREAKING NEWS Out Of The PENTAGON

Like this article?

Dean James III% AMERICA’S FREEDOM FIGHTERS –

Defense Secretary Jim Mattis is taking steps to save a program that expedites foreign-born recruits to U.S. citizenship in exchange for military service.

Mattis made the announcement Friday in regard to the Military Accessions Vital to the National Interest, or MAVNI, program, which was halted last year because the Pentagon assessed that proper safeguards were not in place against potential insider threats, Tara Copp at the Military Times reported.

take our poll - story continues below

Should Brett Kavanaugh withdraw over sexual misconduct allegations?

  • Should Brett Kavanaugh withdraw over sexual misconduct allegations?

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Completing this poll grants you access to AFF updates free of charge. You may opt out at anytime. You also agree to this site's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

“We are taking the steps obviously to save the program, if it can be saved,” Mattis told reporters Friday. “If it can, you do due diligence for it to make sure what you are bringing in is what you think you are bringing in.”

ADVERTISEMENT - STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Since 2009, more than 10,000 recruits have entered the military through the MAVNI program.

Supporters of the MAVNI program say it allows the military to recruit immigrants with vital skills such as foreign language proficiency or high-demand medical training. But critics have said the program did not adequately screen potential applicants and left the military vulnerable.

“We could not continue what we’d been doing without an espionage potential,” Mattis said of the previous weaknesses found in the program.

Defense Department investigators discovered “potential security risks” in the MAVNI program after a year-long investigation, Fox News reported exclusively in August.

ADVERTISEMENT - STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Sources told Fox News that MAVNI’s problems included a vetting backlog that led to enrollment of many soldiers prior to completion of their background checks, and an attendant “drift” in the program’s criteria, with MAVNI being used as a vehicle for the hiring of workers – like cooks, drivers and mechanics – who did not possess the specialized skills the program was created to exploit.

Effective immediately, recruits will have to complete the background check before being shipped to basic training.

Mattis’ announcement is the first clear sign the Pentagon has backed away from internal recommendations to kill the MAVNI program and scuttle the contracts of those waiting to serve, The Washington Post reported.

A June memo said about 1,000 foreign-born recruits waiting to receive orders risked being deported if the program was canceled, according to the paper.

ADVERTISEMENT - STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Let’s hope they get this right and don’t cave to political correctness.

TOGETHER WE WILL MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!

Dean James III% AMERICA’S FREEDOM FIGHTERS

FOLLOW us on Facebook at Nation In Distress!

Please like and share on Facebook and Twitter!

Like this article?

Facebook Comments