ALERT: Mom Urging ALL Parents To Do THIS Before Grilling This Summer After Son Almost DIES


Summer wouldn’t be complete without ribs, chicken, dogs and burgers sizzling on the barbecue grill. Ahhh yes- I love it! 

There’s nothing better than firing up the grill, drinking some nice cold beers, watching a ballgame and jumping in your pool to cool off! In fact, that is exactly what I am going to do today!


But not all grilling experiences end with such joy. In fact, some incidents result in visits to the hospital as a result of wire bristle barbecue brushesDavid Oliver at US News reports.

take our poll - story continues below

Whom do you consider to be the most corrupt Democrat Politician?

  • Whom do you consider to be the most corrupt Democrat Politician?  

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Completing this poll grants you access to AFF updates free of charge. You may opt out at anytime. You also agree to this site's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Yes, adults and children alike are ingesting the pesky bristles that break off from these brushes when they’re used to clean grills. These bristles are evidently embedding themselves into food and in turn, people’s bodies. One study found U.S. emergency rooms reported more than 1,600 wire bristle grill brush injuries between 2002 and 2014.

A Centers for Disease Control and Prevention morbidity and mortality report from 2012 highlights the issue, citing cases from March 2011 to June 2012. “The severity of injury ranged from puncture of the soft tissues of the neck, causing severe pain on swallowing, to perforation of the gastrointestinal tract requiring emergeny surgery,” according to the report.

Even as recently as this month there have been several reports of wire bristle hospitalizations. One Canadian woman wrote a Facebook post pleading with people to never use a metal barbecue brush after her son got a bristle stuck in his throat.


“What a scary 24 hours it’s been! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, EVERYONE do not use a metal BBQ brush!!

Just minutes after eating BBQ chicken last night Ollie started crying and complaining there was something stuck and hurting his throat. After suspecting a BBQ bristle was stuck, Matt checked the other chicken that we hadn’t eaten yet and found one in there too.

X-ray confirmed a few hours later that there was indeed a metal bbq brush bristle in my little boys throat.

Throughout the 2 hours at the hospital Ollie couldn’t swallow and kept gagging and spitting. Because of the location of the bristle the dr wanted to send him to the stollery in Edmonton via ambulance and off him and Matt went at 9pm with me, Cohen and Ellie following.

It was the most awful and difficult 24 hours of my life watching my son in so much pain, not being able to do anything to make it better and know that this could have been 100% avoidable…we even have a wooden BBQ grill cleaner still new in package that we’ve been meaning to use….

It wasn’t until 5pm today that he finally got 2 pieces of metal bristles removed from his throat in the OR. He was such an amazing, strong, brave boy (even after not being allowed to eat or drink for almost 24 hours) and I am so grateful he is ok but I just don’t ever want something like this to happen to someone else ❤️”

The good news? There are ways you can prevent this from happening.

Dr. Mott Blair, a Wallace, North Carolina-based family physician, uses a brush himself when grilling, but has been more cautious as he’s read about these incidents. That makes even more sense when you think about what he has seen in his practice – like a piece of bone stuck in the back of someone’s throat. He says you have to be cognizant of the problem because it could indeed happen.

“You don’t think about it, you won’t prevent it, right?” he says.

With all this in mind, here’s what Blair says you should do to keep your grill safely in check:

Use alternative cleaners. Blair suggests using a cloth, and he read that you can even clean the grill with an onion.

Know what you’re buying. Just like when you’re buying anything else, Blair says you should examine your grilling apparatus often and ensure it’s in good servicing condition.

Don’t forget about the other safety hazards. Make sure you’re thoroughly cooking your meat. Blair says he likely sees people in his practice get sick by coming into contact with raw, contaminated food more so than foreign material ingestion. He also recommends people clean their instruments frequently when they’re turning meat.

To combat the wire bristle issue specifically, that CDC report from 2012 recommends everyone from health care professionals to manufacturers of wire grill-cleaning brushes to retailers to the public be aware of the issue.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention also recommends separating food you plan on grilling (i.e. meat, poultry and seafood) from other foods when you’re grocery shopping, chilling meat until you’re ready to grill and, of course, inspecting the grill before you use it if you’re using a wire bristle brush.

Food poisoning peaks in the summer months when warmer temperatures cause foodborne germs to flourish. Follow these steps for a safe and enjoyable grilling season.


When shopping, pick up meat, poultry, and seafood last, right before checkout. Separate them from other food in your shopping cart and grocery bags. To guard against cross-contamination, put packages of raw meat and poultry into individual plastic bags.


Keep meat, poultry, and seafood refrigerated until ready to grill. When transporting, keep below 40°F in an insulated cooler.


Wash your hands with soap before and after handling raw meat, poultry, and seafood. Wash work surfaces, utensils, and the grill before and after cooking.

Check your grill and tools

Use a moist cloth or paper towel to clean the grill surface before cooking. If you use a wire bristle brush, thoroughly inspect the grill’s surface before cooking. Wire bristles from grill cleaning brushes may dislodge and stick into food on the grill.

Don’t cross-contaminate

Throw out marinades and sauces that have touched raw meat juices, which can spread germs to cooked foods. Use clean utensils and a clean plate to remove cooked meat from the grill.


Use a food thermometer to ensure meat is cooked hot enough to kill harmful germs. When smoking, keep temperatures inside the smoker at 225°F to 300°F to keep meat a safe temperature while it cooks.

  • 145°F – whole cuts of beef, pork, lamb, and veal (stand-time of 3 minutes at this temperature)
  • 145°F – fish
  • 160°F – hamburgers and other ground beef
  • 165°F – all poultry and pre-cooked meats, like hot dogs


After Grilling:

  • 140°F or warmer – until it’s served


Divide leftovers into small portions and place in covered, shallow containers. Put in freezer or fridge within two hours of cooking (one hour if above 90°F outside).

We feel that this is extremely important information and urge you to share this with everyone that you know! 

God Bless. Source- AFF

FOLLOW us on Facebook at Nation In Distress!

Facebook Has Banned Us!

The leftists at Facebook decided they didn’t like our message, so they removed our page and are censoring us. Help us fight back and subscribe to our newsletter so that you can stay up-to-date with everything Facebook doesn’t want you to see!

Disqus Comments