TERROR ALERT Out Of THIS Country

Like this article?

Dean James AMERICA’S FREEDOM FIGHTERS

The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) called on Filipinos abroad to be vigilant in the wake of the foiled terrorist attack in Russia and a deadly shooting incident in Burkina Faso, The Manila Times reports.

“We want our kababayans wherever they are abroad to always remain vigilant and to always be prepared because these senseless acts of violence can happen anywhere and when we least expect them,” Foreign Affairs Secretary Alan Peter Cayetano said.

There are more than 10 million Filipinos abroad.

 The DFA issued the warning following the report of Ambassador Carlos Sorreta of the Philippine Embassy in Moscow that Islamic militants were prevented from carrying out a series of terrorist attacks in the country.

In Ouagadougou, 18 people were killed when Islamic militants opened fire at a restaurant frequented by foreigners. The DFA said it monitored other small-scale attacks that took place in other parts of the world, mostly in Africa and the Middle East, during the past few days.

Citing data from the Global Terrorism Database, the DFA said around 1,102 terror incidents took place worldwide from January to August this year while 1,204 terror attacks were perpetrated during the same period in 2016.

AFF REPORTED:

OUAGADOUGOU– At least 18 people have been killed in an attack by suspected Islamist militants at a restaurant popular with foreigners in the capital of Burkina Faso.

Several others were wounded in the terror attack.

Security forces shot dead both attackers and freed people trapped inside the building.

“This is a terrorist attack,” Communications Minister Remi Dandjinou told a news conference on Monday.

Dandjinou had earlier said that “some people were held” by the assailants and that “some were released”, but gave no further details.

Burkina Faso, like other countries in West Africa, has been targeted sporadically by jihadist groups. Most attacks have been along its remote northern border with Mali, which has seen activity by Islamist militants for more than a decade, Reuters reports.

A Reuters witness saw customers running out of the Aziz Istanbul restaurant in central Ouagadougou as police and paramilitary gendarmerie surrounded it, amid gunfire.

Canada’s Foreign Minister Chrystia Freeland said two Canadians were among the dead and French Foreign Affairs minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said a French citizen was killed.

Lebanon’s interior ministry said three Lebananese died, including one who was also a Canadian national.

Earlier, Burkina Faso Foreign Affairs Minister Alpha Barry said at a news conference that seven Burkinabes, two Kuwaitis, a Nigerian, a Senegalese and a Turk were also among at least 18 killed.

The Guardian reports that analysts say a coalition of jihadist groups formed last month is the prime suspect. The alliance includes al-Qaida in the Maghreb (AQIM), one of the most tenacious and effective offshoots of the extremist organisation.

A government statement described the latest deadly shooting as a terrorist attack, while President Roch Marc Christian Kaboré condemned it as “a despicable attack that has Ouagadougou in mourning”.

“The fight against terrorism is a long-term struggle,” he said on Twitter.

Guy Ye, a police captain, said three or four assailants had arrived at the restaurant on motorbikes at about 9pm, armed with AK-47s, and began shooting at diners.

One woman said she was in the restaurant celebrating her brother’s birthday when the shooting started. “I just ran but my brother was left inside,” she told Reuters.

God Bless.

FOLLOW us on Facebook at Nation In Distress!

Dean James III% AMERICA’S FREEDOM FIGHTERS

Please like and share on Facebook and Twitter!

Like this article?

Facebook Comments

Our Privacy Policy has been updated to support the latest regulations.Click to learn more.×