LAREDO, TEXAS —An inmate who busted out of jail in West Virginia Wednesday was caught about 4 a.m. Sunday — trying to cross from Texas into Mexico, investigators said.

Boyes had changed into civilian clothes and escaped the South Central Regional Jail in Charleston on Wednesday, but the jail staff didn’t notice until Thursday evening, Fox News reported.

escaped inmate 1029

Todd Boyes escaped from South Central Regional Jail in Charleston, West Virginia, on Wednesday.  (Roane County Emergency Management)

Authorities said a review of the facility’s jail’s security video showed Boyes leaving the facility the previous morning.

According to investigators, the 5-foot-6, 220-pound Boyes obtained khaki pants and a dark green or grey jacket he wore to escape by posing as a civilian or jail trusty.

Three end-of-shift head counts failed to alert jail staff to his disappearance.



U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers early this morning took custody from Mexican immigration officers of a West Virginia prison escapee who also was wanted for attempted murder and armed carjacking following his capture by Mexican authorities.

Shortly after 2 a.m. today, CBP officers at Gateway to the Americas Bridge took custody from Mexican immigration officers at mid-bridge of Todd Wayne Boyes, 44, a U.S. citizen deported from Mexico.

CBP officers escorted Boyes to secondary inspection where they verified his identity, citizenship and confirmed that he had the following outstanding state arrest warrants: attempted murder, from West Virginia State Police in South Charleston, West Virginia, armed carjacking from Ohio Highway Patrol in St. Clairsville, Ohio, flight-escape from the Charleston, West Virginia State Prosecutor’s Office and larceny from the sheriff’s office in Marietta, Ohio.

“CBP maintains a strong working relationship with our law enforcement partners from the Government of Mexico and the swift transfer of a dangerous fugitive wanted on multiple violent charges is a testament to the strength of that relationship and our ongoing international cooperation and coordination,” said Port Director Gregory Alvarez, Laredo Port of Entry.


Boyes appeared to be in need of medical assistance and was transported by ambulance to a local hospital. Following his clearance from the hospital, Office of Field Operations (OFO) Special Response Team (SRT) operators assisted in transporting Boyes to Webb County jail pending the adjudication of his outstanding warrants.

WSAZ-TV reported a statement from the Department of Military Affairs and Public Safety in West Virginia: “Officials at both the Regional Jail Authority and the Department of Military Affairs and Public Safety consider the incident to be a grave and unacceptable breach of their core duty to protect their fellow West Virginians. We intend to address the episode and the results of the ongoing investigation with the utmost seriousness.”

West Virginia Department of Military Affairs and Public Safety spokesman Lawrence Messina said Boyes was given a medical evaluation, then hauled back to the Webb County Jail in Texas. Messina also said four jail employees have been suspended without pay pending the results of an investigation.

Boyes had been scheduled to be sentenced Friday to up to 20 years in prison on charges including fleeing and possession of a stolen car.

He initially was charged with attempted murder after Charleston Police Cpl. Renee Smith was hurt during a pursuit to arrest him, but the charge was dropped in a September plea deal.



FOLLOW us on Facebook at Nation In Distress!

Please like and share on Facebook and Twitter!

Facebook Has Banned Us!

The leftists at Facebook decided they didn’t like our message, so they removed our page and are censoring us. Help us fight back and subscribe to our newsletter so that you can stay up-to-date with everything Facebook doesn’t want you to see!

Disqus Comments